About this project

This project has been inspired by the fire breathing big BHP Group B rally cars that were banned in the mid 1980's. With a love for these cars in mind I'm creating a mid engine RWD track day car using a MK6 Escort as the base car and a Subaru Impreza turbo engine/gearbox to power it.

With the Subaru engine being quite light and having a low centre of gravity, (due to the flat 4 configuration) the car should have a good power to weight ratio and hopefully handle well, with a good suspension setup.

Stripped out and cut up.

March 12th, 2011

The peugeot has been completly stripped out to a bare shell and the whole floor section with the bulkhead,suspension turrets and front chassis legs cut out, i have braced the shell to keep it nice and solid and bolted it to a perfectly square jig that i have made so everything can be aligned up nice and true later on. The next step is to completly weld in the subaru floor pan, bulkhead and engine bay section which to my supprise fits like a glove after a LOT trial and error trimming down.

Posted in The 205 strip out | 1 Comment »

Subaru Powered Peugeot 205 T16 style Project.

January 12th, 2011

Ok so my new project has started, i have got a subaru  impreza wrx sti version 4 that i am stripping down at the moment, the new car is going to be a peugeot 205 with a front mounted subaru  engine and the 4wd system with a full roll cage,rear mounted radiator, battery, fuel  tank etc to balance the car out and a t16 style body kit to suit the wider track of the impreza. I am hoping for the car to weigh no more than a ton, with plenty of power and a shorter wheelbase it should be seriously fun to drive.

Posted in Off Topic, Uncategorized | 2 Comments »

Curbourgh sprint track 6/10/2010

November 8th, 2010

Posted in Videos | No Comments »


October 26th, 2010

After many more hours working in the garage the Beast has finally let rip on the track. I have completly re designed the rear suspension fabricating wider tubular wishbones simular to the fronts with new mounting points with high strength rose joints, the rear track rod mounts have been re fabricated lowered down to reduce rear bump steer,  new rose jointed drop links fitted and i have lowered the ride height a bit and dialled in some more negative camber.

As for the front i have used slightly softer springs with brand new new stiffer dampers, the plan is to make the car kind of nose dive whilst under braking in to a corner transfering all the weight to the front to create some grip without springing back up to quick. It all seems to work well although the track was wet so i could not get the power down and i did spin off a couple of times, it was an awsome day though it definately gets the adrenalin pumping, it has got so much power it will pretty much spin the wheels in 3rd gear down most of the straight. The car is pretty light with hardly any transmission losses due to it only been 2wd now and  a combination of a fast spooling turbo, short ratio gears and smaller 15in wheels make it seriously quick.

I will post up some footage very soon.

Posted in curbourgh sprint track | No Comments »

Rose jointed front suspension

February 7th, 2010

The front suspension is now finished,  i have used ultra high strenght rose joints for the track rod ends, roll bar linkages and the lower wishbones, I have fabricated the wishbones out of cds tube, i have made them slightly longer than the standard arms to give me more adjustment for camber on the top mounts as the shocks would touch the inner wings when i tried to adjust for some negative camber so ive got a bit more room  now.  I am hoping the steering will be more precise with these mods, the standard lower wishbones had large bushes in them which had way to much play in them so there should definatly be an improvement there, i have also noticed that the suspension moves up and down alot smoother now as its moving on the rose joints insted of the standard rubber bushes.  I have spaced out the rose joints on the steering arms to make them parrallel with the lower arms to eliminate any bump steer and ive fitted  a new manual steering rack. I have got a fair bit adjustment now at the front end so im confident i can find some good settings,   I will be adding plenty pics in the gallery shortly.

Posted in Front suspension | 1 Comment »